Other Stuff

9.11.2010

September 11

Sunset


A couple of years ago we went to Sandy, Utah, to see the flag display honoring those who died on September 11. With the help of the Colonial Flag Foundation and volunteers, each year thousands of flags are placed on the lawn in front of Sandy City Hall.
The first year I went there was very emotional. I was touched by the gesture the people from Colonial Flag had made by making this possible. I remembered reading something about this and how the owner or someone from the company had wanted so desperately to do something in honor of those fallen victims and heroes. It was pretty simple. They had a flag company and so they put up some flags. One for everyone who died on that tragic day.
I am always so deeply moved when I visit this place. Those invisible strings inside me get pulled and tugged this way and that and I always cry.
Today, Lois told me that Jeni has been learning of this in school and that she had some questions. I've always taken it for granted that both of the girls just knew because each year at this time Lois and I always talk about it. Looking back I realized that they were only three and four. Aly sobbed today after she watched YouTube with Jen. It was the same emotion that I get when I think about it. That feeling I'll never forget.
I think this year when they saw the flags there was a sense of awe and understanding.


To learn more about the Colonial Flag Foundation Visit the Healing Field



1 comment:

  1. Apologies for my late comment- but I just had to let you know how moved I was by this post. So many moments that bring us to our knees- Continue to know I think of you and your wonderful family often-

    ReplyDelete